Ballymena Today book club announce our latest book – When Breath becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. Last month we tackled a sparky fictional thriller set in Australia and as a complete contrast this month we will read this award winning non-fiction.
When Breath becomes Air is a memoir written by neurosurgeon Paul Kalanithi. Paul is a happily married father of one who is working hard in his medical career until everything comes crashing to a halt. As has happened to so many of us a shocking diagnosis leaves his head spinning and his life is in the balance.
NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY
The New York Times Book Review • People • NPR • The Washington Post • Slate • Harper’s Bazaar • Esquire • Time Out New York • Publishers Weekly • BookPage
Finalist for the PEN Center USA Literary Award in Creative Nonfiction and the Books for a Better Life Award in Inspirational Memoir
Ballymena Today book club – When Breath becomes Air
The book is a slim read and once you have started it we are sure that you will find it hard to put down. Paul writes about his illness and treatment with courage and grace and many will relate to his story.
So how does this work then?
- Grab the book – download it to your Kindle, iPad or table – or pick up a copy from Waterstones in Ballymena.
- Read the book – You have a few weeks to get stuck into it.
- Keep an eye on our blog, instagram and facebook page – we will be publishing our When Breath becomes Air discussion guide.
- Grab your friends and meet up – Our biggest wish would be that you and your book clubbers would meet up in a local Ballymena coffee shop. Enjoy a coffee and a little treat as you discuss our book club questions.
- Or get involved with our online community – If your friends aren’t readers then don’t worry, you can still be a part of our online community. Drop a comment and let us know what you thought of the book.
As always we will be investigating some of the big themes that come out of the book as we go along so please stay tuned to Ballymena Today for book club chat and local Ballymena news.