The picture shows First Ballymena Presbyterian Church on the right and looks towards the end of the street where there is now a roundabout outside St Patricks Church.
First Ballymena Presbyterian Church originally (in 1850) had a distinctive tower as part of their building. This was classed as one of the Seven towers in Ballymena –
The seven towers were:
The tower of the Old Parish Church
The tower of St Patrick’s
The tower of First Presbyterian Church
The tower of All Saints Roman Catholic Church
The tower of the Castle
The tower of the old Town Hall
The tower of the Braidwater Mill
Unfortunately the tower sustained damaged during a storm and was demolished some time between 1887 and 1891.
One the other side of the street is the carpark which is still there outside the NRC building at Trostan Avenue. We love seeing the vintage cars lining both sides of the street, and wonder what was on at the First Ballymena Presbyterian church that drew such a crowd!