Healthy eating makes for a healthy life. Ballymena Today knows that you are what you eat! A good diet is very important for your health and well-being, it can make you feel happier, healthier and full of energy.
Remember to eat a variety of different foods:
- Fruit and vegetables and Bread, rice, potatoes, pasta and other starchy foods are the two biggest “slices” of the plate. That means you should be eating plenty of foods out of those categories
- You should eat lots of milk and dairy foods but don’t overdo it, they can be quite fattening
- Make sure to eat enough protein, you can do this by eating meat, fish, eggs, beans and other non-dairy sources of protein
- Food and drinks high in fat/sugar is the smallest category that means that you shouldn’t eat as much of them – but I have to admit I find it a bit of a struggle ☺
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily
- Eat breakfast!
This is so important in having a healthy diet. If breakfast is skipped, it may lead to weight gain instead of weight loss. I personally know how hard it is to squeeze breakfast in in the morning but even a bowl of Kellogg’s Special K gives you the kick start of energy needed for your day
- Adult recommended = 30mins a day
- Child recommended = 60mins a day
Even though it is difficult to find 30-60minutes free in your day it is still important to make sure you get enough exercise. I like taking a break from homework and going on a jog to clear my head. If you don’t think running is your ideal exercise how about getting an exercise DVD or going for a walk around your block.
- Don’t radically try to change your diet
- Unhealthy foods taste so good but they should only be eaten occasionally – learn how to say no when tempted
- Eat breakfast – try not to use high sugar cereals, use a high fibre cereal instead
- Vitamins – make sure you are getting enough vitamins daily
- Try to eat 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day
- Drink lots of water – it’s vital for your health and good for your skin