© 2018 - Ballymena Today.
An MCC Site
In Ballymena Grove Vets are always on call to give us good sound advice.
Recently with the freezing temperatures we are glad that the Gritter has been out to help keep our roads safe. We know that lots of residents and businesses have also been spreading rock salt and grit on the pavements and roads in an attempt to keep us on our feet. However did you know that rock salt and grit can be dangerous for our pets.
The RSPCA have issued the following advice for pet owners:
Rock salt is a mixture of salt (sodium chloride) and grit, and is used to help de-ice roads in winter. Rock salt can be a danger to pets such as dogs and cats, if they lick it from their paws or fur. It is difficult to say how much needs to be eaten for signs of toxicity to be seen. Even a small amount of pure salt can be very dangerous to pets.
Ingestion can result in a high blood sodium concentration which can cause thirst, vomiting and lethargy, and in severe cases there is a risk of convulsions and kidney damage. Most cases involve animals that have walked through gritted snow and then lick or chew it off their paws as they can find it irritating. It is therefore important to thoroughly wipe your pet’s feet and the fur on his/her legs and tummy after a walk or time outside.
If he/she is showing any signs of discomfort after possible exposure to rock salt, use a mild, pet-safe shampoo and warm water to wash the affected areas, and dry your pet’s fur completely with a towel after washing.
Any animal suspected of ingestion of rock salt must be assessed by a vet immediately. (Source)
Grove Vets are on hand if you are worried about your pet. If you have any concerns that your dog or cat may be unwell as a result of ingesting chemicals or if they have irritated, sore or bleeding paws then make an appointment for them to be seen. Click here to visit the Grove Vets website.
Blog writing machine...
Recover your password.
A password will be e-mailed to you.