Ballymena has a large community of bikers who love getting their motorbikes out. With the changeable weather some bikers might have been put off heading out this summer but we are sure that most folks have been out for a run to the coast at least once this summer.
Motorbikes – Ballymena
However if you are a fair-weather biker then you will ned to carry out some checks before you hit the road.
One of the major checks to make is to take close look at your tyres. If you aren’t out on your bike often or it has been tucked away over the winter then your tyres may need some attention. Here are some tips from Tyresafe that should help you to be prepared to get back on the road.
- Check your tyre pressures from cold at least once a week using an accurate gauge
- Inflate tyres to the pressure recommended in the manufacturer’s handbook
- Inspect tyres for cuts, bulges, uneven wear or objects embedded in the tread
- Check that your tread depth is not below the legal minimum of 1mm (for bikes over 50cc)
- If your rims are cracked or bent they should be replaced immediately
- Replace old or damaged valve stems
- Select the correct type of tyre for your machine and riding style
- Check that both tyres fitted to the bike are made by the same manufacturer and have the same tread pattern
- Make sure that your tyre has been fitted the right way round by checking the directional arrows on the sidewall
- When replacing tube type tyres always use a new inner tube
- Make sure your tyre/wheel assembly is balanced correctly
- Use dust caps to keep dirt away from the valve core and to act as a secondary air seal
- Keep oil and grease off your tyres using detergent if necessary
- If you are unsure on any aspect of tyre pressure or tyre condition take your motorcycle to an approved fitting centre and speak to a qualified professional
If you are preparing to take your bike out but are unsure if your tyres are up to scratch then get advice from the local experts Ballymena Tyres. Ballymena Tyres are located at Warden Street in Ballymena. They stock all sorts of tyres and will be able to help you check if your tyres are safe and roadworthy. Call Ballymena Tyres on 028 2565 2518 for more information.