Ballymena has just enjoyed a bit of a heatwave and we know that lots of our readers are also dog lovers. One of the dangers which dog owners should be aware of, especially in the heat involves algae in water. Maybe you dog enjoys cooling down in the heat – or sometimes gets away from you around large bodies of water. If so then please read and share the information below from

Why is blue-green algae dangerous to dogs?

Blooms of blue-green algae can produce harmful toxins which stop a dog’s liver from functioning properly. However, not all types of blue-green algae are dangerous.

Sadly, exposure to toxic blue-green algae is often fatal, and can also cause long term health problems in dogs that survive after drinking or swimming in algae-contaminated water. Some types of blue-green algae can kill a dog just 15 minutes to an hour after drinking contaminated water.

Dogs who have been swimming in water can get the algae caught in their fur, and can ingest it while cleaning themselves later on.

Concentrations of the algae vary throughout the year and may not always be harmful – but you can’t tell simply by looking at them whether or not they are dangerous, so it is best not to run the risk of allowing your dog to come into contact with water where the algae may be present.

If your dog has been swimming in water with this type of algae then please get in touch with a vet to make a appointment for a check up – Especially if you notice any of the following:

  • Vomiting/being sick
  • Diarrhoea
  • Seizures/fitting
  • Weakness/collapse/unconsciousness
  • Disorientation/confusion
  • Drooling
  • Breathing difficulties

Grove Vets are a local Ballymena business who are happy to help you and your dog. Not only if they are poorly, Grove Vets are also happy to make sure your dog has the correct vaccinations and is fit and happy. Call them on 028 2565 6023.