When you set out to open up your business, you will hear lots of opinions and ideas. No matter what your business does, there are some absolute essentials for your small business. You might not be able to do them all at once or even before you open your doors (if you have doors) but, you do need to do this stuff.
1. Website: The myth is that your site needs to be all-singing and all-dancing, built from the ground up by an army of geeks and nerds who speak in code. The truth is simpler than that. You need to get online and be easy to find. If you know what your business is and does, then clearly communicating this information is vital.
2. Mobile: A responsive website will automatically adjust to suit mobile devices. More people use mobile globally now than use desktop for the web. Google ranks your site higher if you are optimized for mobile viewing.
3. Social Media It still amazes me that local businesses resist social media or dip their toe in the water and then back off quickly. You need a digital marketing strategy that is utilising social media, every single day, connecting you with others. Tell your story, use images, engage with people, build a community of followers. These followers will be your supporters and your customers.
4. Search Engine Optimization: To get started, focus on the basics. Quality web design, blogging and social media. Claim your business location on Google. If people are going to find your business, you need to address these issues and get connected.
5. Start writing: I know we’ve already said that you should blog but, you need to frequently create new content. Writing about your business, your products, your staff and your day-to-day experiences builds relationships with customers. You are building a community, you need to talk to your tribe!
We’ve said a lot of this stuff before but, just this week a local business owner was sharing with us about how social media is absolutely crucial to their business. The reminder for us was that, there are still plenty of you out there in Ballymena who are not engaging with the vital elements you need to get connected. All or even some of the above could energise your business and create new customers… what’s stopping you?
These are essentials for your small business.
If you need help, contact our team – www.arecollective.co.uk